It’s a Wrap: Things to Consider When Buying a Scarf
It’s that time of the year again: people shopping for the Holidays, children looking forward to receiving gifts from loved ones, and taking out your neatly-stored winter outfit. Of course, everyone’s winter wardrobe is not complete without a warm, fluffy scarf.
Scarves can do more than offer warmth during cold weather. It can also spice up your outfit and add a fun twist to your current style. But with lots of scarf designs and fabric options to choose from, it can be overwhelming to find the perfect scarf. Not to mention the different ways to tie/knot a scarf.
But don’t worry, this should not be something to be stressful. First of all, you can buy them everywhere – whether online, in a boutique store, or your favorite department store. This article offers tips on choosing a scarf, and different ways to tie them that will transform your look from meh to amazing!
What to look for in a scarf
Aside from the design, several things to look for in a scarf include the following:
Some of the most popular scarf fabrics are:
- Or any combination of these fabrics
Generally, wool and cashmere are great choices especially for the autumn and winter seasons. But all of the abovementioned fabric options are good as well, depending on the type of weather you are going to use it for. For example, silk scarves are great for more formal occasions and not usually intended for very cold weather.
Normally, a scarf measures between 50 to 90 inches long, and between 6 to 14 inches wide. But there are some who prefer shorter scarves. Make sure to use a scarf that suits your height. So if you are on the taller side, you should opt for longer scarves, and vice versa. Longer scarves that flow down your neck can make you look taller and slimmer.
Shape and color/pattern
Most scarves are rectangular, but there are also triangular in shape. There is also another type of scarf called the keffiyeh which is more commonly used among Middle Easterners. Go on and experiment with which scarves suit your style and preference best.
The design options for scarves are endless. However, you should also consider choosing the right color and pattern for the right occasion. A green scarf may not be suitable for an awards night, for example.
Tips on tying a scarf
Here are some ways to tie your scarf depending on the occasion or your mood for that day.
- Basic drape – let the scarf hang evenly around your neck.
- Basic drape with a toss – same with the basic drape, but tossing one side over the other shoulder
- Basic loop – let the scarf hang unevenly around your neck, the shorter end touching the chest, then loop the longer side of the scarf twice around your neck and let it hang
- Using a scarf with a belt – hang your scarf around your neck, then secure a thin belt over the scarf and around your waist
- The wrap – spread the scarf and wrap around the shoulders, with one end draped across the other shoulder and the other across your body.
These are some of the many ways to tie a scarf. If you are looking for a scarf, check out available collections in your favorite boutique store in Franklin TN.